No speekee portugee

 This is my view heading north in the morning, the sun will be in my eyes until I cross the equator again.  Surprisingly, it is not at all disorienting to have the sun on the wrong side of the sky.  It heads up that way every summer in Edmonton, that must be why I don't find it strange.  

The border crossing at Acegua was great.  here I am getting my oficial welcome from the Brazilian Police, so far the only Brazilians I met who speak English.  They were pretty chuffed about me being from Canada, the head guy on (on the left) wanted to take my picture with his camera, "Make sure  to get the license plate,",  I was worried it was going to end  up in all the Brazilian Post Offices, but no, he wanted it for himself.  So I handed over my camera to the oficial police photographer designate and got a pic of me as well. 

There are no barriers or anything looking like a border in Acegua, so I actually drove into Brazil had breakfast and coffee before I found out I was in Brazil.  I had to go back (across the street) to Uruguay to get my exit stamp and hand over my temporary permit for the moto, but everybody was super relaxed about it all.  At least part of the reason must be that Acegua is a very small crossing with few people coming across, always better.

Now that I am in Brazil, the fun begins, not speaking a word of the local lingo has its challenges.  So far so good, Brazil seems to have some customs I have not yet encountered in South America, such as a hotel advertising its presence with billboards long before you arrive, I wonder where they learned that trick? 

It was a welcome relief for me, one less problem to deal with.   If only they had restaurants that are open at 6 PM.  Signing off in Rosario Do Sul, the coolest spot in Brazil (that title refers to the town's climate, but the town is pretty cool as well if you are into agriculture).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Electrifying

A tale of two XTs

Decline and fall