Go North Old Man

This morning I woke up to rain and about 10 degrees C.  It really is fall in every sense here.  My bags were packed, all I had to do was swing by the Embajada de Paraguay, pick up my visa and passport and find the ferry to Uruguay.

The previous night Marcello from Informoto interviewed me for his  revista, an Argentine moto mag.
I had sent them an email after I picked up the magazine at a newstand. Marcello's English is better than my Spanish which was good for both of us.  I asked him to send me a copy when if the interview is printed.   Fun.

No problems with the ferry, other than finding it.  Did I mention that Buenos Aires is huge?  Trying to find anything is a chore despite well marked streets laid out in a grid pattern, it's the diagonals that get me.  Fortunately for lost Gringos, a much larger proportion of people in BA speak English than most other places I have been except maybe Colombia.  

The ferry ride is about one hour and takes me to Colonia.  This was the best border of all, even better than Canada and the US.  The ferry is the upper crust way to travel, nothing but fancy cars and well dressed, well behaved people, so the customs and immigration people are polite and laid back as well, even the droga perros were relaxed.

The weather continued to stay cool in Uruguay.   Colonia, where the ferry landed me is 176 klicks of cold and windy riding from Montevideo, the capital.   My chain and sprockets need replacing and there is a dealer in Montevideo.   It was a ride I would expect from Alberta in the fall, (or the Demptser Highway in July). 
This is not what I came to 'South' America for, time to re-cross the equator where it is coming up summer.  The next border will be Brazil. (In case anyone was still wondering, Tierra Del Fuego is not on my 'go to' list.) 

First impressions; Uruguayans could give French waiters lesson on how to abuse turistos.  Monopoly money is worth more than the Uruguay peso.  I had 3,000 Pesos before dinner, which took care of 250.00 of them. A thousand pesos are worth about 50 US bux, which seems to be the preferred currency in El Rip Off Hotel where I am staying tonight.  El Rip Off is located right on the water (the final picture was taken from my window) and is very modern and fancy, but the price is high, and they surcharge for everything, wifi, parking, all extra, which was always included if it was available at the less pretentious hotels I prefer to stay in.   I ate in the hotel restaurant, the meal was nicely prepared, but if I hadda sneezed, it woulda ended up on the other side of the room.  Maybe I am just grouchy cause it is cold and damp, tomorrow is another day, and definitely another hotel!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Electrifying

Decline and fall

A new era